2.27.2012

simplicity. turkey tortellini.

I've been working toward my goal of Simplicity (my word of the year), intentional living... a big part of this for me includes making as many meals as I can. Ok, that didn't sound simple. To rephrase --> I am simplifying in other areas, in order to make it easier for me to give time to what I feel is important.

I don't consider myself to be much of a cook { ie cookbooks still need pictures and step by step directions for me - don't just say "blanch" without explaining what it means...} So that's my level of cooking ability.

Instead of reaching for the cardboard box and pushing "Start" on the microwave, I've been on the hunt for easy meals and today, with the help of Simple Mom's Basic Guide to Menu Planning, I've got a month of meal's planned, printed out and on the fridge. It is so freeing! and it was easy...

I'm sharing one, we've had it twice and it is easy-peasy. All it needs is Olive Garden breadsticks to take it to the next level...


This recipe serves 6 generously... my crockpot it small and threatens spillage - I will be upgrading to a larger one, just keep this in mind - it will go right to the top on the small crockpots.

R E C I P E

Turkey Tortellini Soup

Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 6 to 8 hours on low, or 3 to 4 on high, plus an extra 30 minutes on high
  • 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 4 cups of water
  • 4 cups coursely chopped roasted turkey breast (1 pound)
  • 1 - 14.5 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 - tablespoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
  • 1 - 9-ounce package refrigerated cheese tortellini
  • 2 - cups fresh baby spinach
  • Shredded Parmesan cheese
  1. In a 5- to 6- quart slow cooker combine broth, the water, chopped turkey, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning.
  2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-4 hours. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting at the end of 6 to 8 hours. Stir in tortellini. Cover and cook for 30 more minutes or until tortellini is tender. Stir in spinach. If desired, sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.
Per Serving: 240 cal., 3 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 63 mg chol., 656 mg sodium, 25 g carb. (3 g fiber, 4 g sugars), 28 g pro. I was not able to find this recipe online - SOURCE: Better Homes and Gardens Diabetic Slow Cooker magazine 2012.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds delicious. I haven't pulled the slow cooker out this year, but may need to for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to check in and see what I am up to! I enjoy reading each and every comment.